Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Humor and offtopic list.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 22:18:17 EDT

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:27:37PM -0400, Robert Snyder wrote:

> Now I know that we have limited bandwith blah blah blah... and then Paul
> has to remind up what the bandwith should be going for in order.
> Anyway. is there way to say have an offical offtopic list hosted say by
> me. I do pay for a hosting service and mailing list is one of the
> things I can have. I use so little bandwith out of my site that it might
> as well go to something useful and help out the list.

BTW, that notice you got about the list rules fires off automatically on
the first of the month. It was not intended to make any particular point
at this time. And I wouldn't particularly worry about our bandwidth. I
don't think we're up to that magical "50 emails a day" number yet. ;-}

We _do_ have the SLUG Politics list. It's called "politics" but it's
really for anything that doesn't fit on the main list (like flames).
Maybe we should call it the "Offtopic" list. See
http://www.suncoastlug.org/lists.html .

I crafted the main SLUG list rules to allow for certain amounts of humor
and the like (of which we seem to have had a lot lately ;-). Mainly, we
don't want selling or flames, nor things which might lead to flaming
(like politics, religion, etc.). Anything that falls outside the SLUG
list rules is fodder for the politics list. You could even have tech
discussions there if you really wanted to. Mainly the SLUG list rules
were designed to make a compromise between the "it's got to be a pure
tech list!" people and the rest of the community, who tend to talk Linux
news, advocacy, humor and other not-strictly-tech subjects. You could
even discuss Windows stuff on the list, though I don't recommend it,
considering what the reaction usually is.

Paul