Re: [SLUG] Newb network question

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 22:19:33 EDT

> >I got a crossover cable and installed it between the two computers'
network
> >cards and I still can't ping eachother. My ifconfig eth0 shows the
correct
> >IP address for each computer, so what is missing? -Eric
> >

> Are the IP addresses on the same IP netblock? Do you get a link-light
on
> both network cards? Are both interfaces "up"?
>
> This should Just Work (TM). My guess is either a bad cable (a physical
> layer problem still), or a misunderstanding of IP networking
(something
> relatively simple to overcome :)
>
> - Ian

I am a graduate of the JSWU myself (Just Should Work University).
Ian's suggestion to check for a link light on both NICs is good, but if
your crossover cable actually isn't one, you might try getting hold of
an old hub and run a straight cable from each machine to two ports
on the hub and force each NIC to autonegotiate the same speed.
Using an old Netgear 10 MB hub will do this. You may have the
NIC's not negotiating the same speed which again is a physical
layer problem, as most of them are. Then you can look for the link
LEDs on the hub itself. You may have to re-init both NICs to
do this.

I'm keeping all my old hubs. If you ever need to Tee off of a
connection between 2 machines to sniff the traffic (diagnose
a connection problem) and all you have are these cheap switches
that don't do port replication, then life gets complicated in a
hurry.

Bob Foxworth