Re: [SLUG] Computer Users Group?

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 09 2004 - 06:59:13 EDT

Actually the published monthly meetings are listed at the
rear of the magazine every quarter (published 4/year) and the
closest one is in Orlando. If there is a Tampa meeting, it
is done 'informally'. I have never heard of one. (Why not
call Russ or A.J. at the FBI FO and ask them?? :-)

These fellows seem to like to meet in food courts in big
shopping malls. I have no doubt that if _I_ ever tried
to crash one I would be immediately "made" as being
from a LEO. Which is pretty funny, as at my age I am
years (decades?) away from that ever happening.

I'd just carry a small paperback, jammed into my belt, under
a jacket, so it will 'print' convincingly. Maybe a copy of
"hacker takedown". That would really gather their attention.
:-)

> (personal opinion follows) Bleh, 2600 looks like something that
attracts script kiddies and
> crackers. I have no respect for that. :P

I have no doubt it does. Treat the magazine as you would a
newspaper. It is a source of information from varied places.
Pick and choose that which is of interest or use. Even
convicted felons, drug users etc. read the newspaper.
Doesn't mean YOU are one of them. It would be a stretch to
claim that 100% of their readership are script kiddies
and/or crackers.

-----------

While I am posting -- the Monday business section of
the Trib listed this week's SLUG in the Stu. Svcs 108 location
in the Admin building but Paulf listed it in another location.
This usually means that people show up at the old
location.

>9 June 19:00-21:00 Tampa
>(second Wednesday of each month)
>***** NOTE ROOM CHANGE *****