Re: [SLUG] distro suitable for thumb drive

From: Rob Roberson (rob@bluedragonstudio.com)
Date: Thu Jun 10 2004 - 06:18:50 EDT

Eben King wrote:

>I have a 512 MB USB flash drive, and my laptop can boot from it (at least,
>I'm pretty sure it can). ...
>What's an appropriate distribution to put on it?

Eben -

I LOVE vector linux. It's small enough to fit if you use the vector 4.0
(not soho version, it's large). VL is based on Slackware, has a small,
light footprint, and supports X.

And SLAX is a live-distro version of Slackware, based on
slackware-current, includes KDE with autoconfig (you have to start it
from the console) and it's goal is to remain less than 185Mb (small
enough to fit on a business-card CD). Slax even has a short howto on
transferring the live-cd to a USBFlashFob.

http://slax.linux-live.org/doc_install.php#inst2flash