Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} The spam tag

From: Logan Tygart (thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 07:12:39 EDT

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 18:23, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 01:56:00AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > All of verizon's dynamic IPs (dialup and DSL) are on various SPAM RBLs
> > and unfortunately, SpamAssassin gives them high scores, so anything
> > that gets sent from a Verizon account will probably get flagged by any
> > system that uses SpamAssassin rules, like the one NKS filters
> > everything through.
> >

> This is what I don't like about RBLs. When the process of inserting an
> IP is automated, that's one thing. There used to be some guys that had
> an RBL like that. Their software sent a series of emails, and the
> results either did or didn't get an IP added to the RBL list. But
> someone threatened to sue them for some lame reason and they closed up
> shop. Without a system like that, I'm afraid there's too much politics
> in RBLs, too much that relies on human judgment.

I use RBLs to filter the mail of just over 60 active domains. At first,
when I stuffed every possible RBL I could find in the list I found I was
constantly editing the white and bypass lists. After a week of
monitoring the mail log, watching which RBL was blocking what and
actually checking their particular reason for blocking an IP or a block
of IPs (after a particular mail is rejected, a link to the explaination
of why the mail was blocked appears in the log), I began editing the
list of actual RBLs I was using. Now, I only use two RBLs: Spamhaus
and Spamcop. I haven't had to edit my white, bypass or black lists
since (except to empty them and allow the RBLs to work). If the mail is
not black listed, my servers check for sender verify and data verify.
After that, we provide spam assassin for our users but only on or two of
them actually have it engaged.

This reduced the incoming mail to my servers from 11,000 a day to about
1000 a day. My mail queue went from having 50 < undeliverable mails at
all times to now about 4 or 5. To this end, I find RBLs incredibly
useful.

The Logan

--
06:40:01 up 111 days, 2 min, 5 users, load average: 0.68, 0.84, 0.69
manly and twinkie do not belong in the same sentenance. -- Mark Bishop, SLUG List