RE: [SLUG] free xandros

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 19:40:32 EDT

>>there are already more Linux Desktops than Apple.

No doubt. But that's not my point. When Honda decided to get into the car
game, they tried to compete with Mercedes and BMW. Not because they
expected to beat them, but because it would keep their engineers focused
beyond what Ford, GM and Chrysler were doing.

Linux won't beat MS by following them in their game. It has succeeded by
trying to become Unix, at a low price. And that has clearly worked. Linux
outsells all the Unix's combined. Linux is rapidly becoming the "common"
Unix we all wished for. But all Unix-like OS's are pretty much beyond the
average guy's ability/interest. But Apple has shown us they could move
their user base to a version of BSD. If you think about how hard BSD is to
setup and consider the IT knowledge of most Mac users - that freaking
amazing...

So, if Linux evolves to be more Mac-like (easy to install/use) and Mac
Developers find it easier to port Mac OS/X software to Linux instead of
Windows, I believe you'll begin to erode Window's market share.

I'm still stuck on Window, since I have to have DreamWeaver, Flash,
Fireworks, InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, AutoCAD and SolidWorks. All
but two of those are on OS/X. So I _could_ buy a Mac and have almost
everything except AutoCAD and SolidWorks. But if Linux could attract those
Mac developer to port, I could stay with my less expensive PC hardware, I'd
be set.

Ken Elliott
Clearwater FL 33755