RE: [SLUG] free xandros

From: Logan Tygart (thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 19:51:57 EDT

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 19:40, Ken Elliott appalled everyone by top
posting:
> >>there are already more Linux Desktops than Apple.
>
> No doubt. But that's not my point. When Honda decided to get into the car
> game, they tried to compete with Mercedes and BMW. Not because they
> expected to beat them, but because it would keep their engineers focused
> beyond what Ford, GM and Chrysler were doing.
>
> Linux won't beat MS by following them in their game. It has succeeded by
> trying to become Unix, at a low price. And that has clearly worked. Linux
> outsells all the Unix's combined. Linux is rapidly becoming the "common"
> Unix we all wished for. But all Unix-like OS's are pretty much beyond the
> average guy's ability/interest. But Apple has shown us they could move
> their user base to a version of BSD. If you think about how hard BSD is to
> setup and consider the IT knowledge of most Mac users - that freaking
> amazing...
>
> So, if Linux evolves to be more Mac-like (easy to install/use) and Mac
> Developers find it easier to port Mac OS/X software to Linux instead of
> Windows, I believe you'll begin to erode Window's market share.
>
> I'm still stuck on Window, since I have to have DreamWeaver, Flash,
> Fireworks, InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator, AutoCAD and SolidWorks. All
> but two of those are on OS/X. So I _could_ buy a Mac and have almost
> everything except AutoCAD and SolidWorks. But if Linux could attract those
> Mac developer to port, I could stay with my less expensive PC hardware, I'd
> be set.
>
> Ken Elliott
> Clearwater FL 33755

<snip top post>

I gotcha.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

19:45:02 up 111 days, 13:07, 6 users, load average: 2.20, 1.62, 1.09
More and more of our imports come from overseas. -- George W. Bush, Sep. 25, 2000
ICQ: 72101412 AIM/MSN/Yahoo/Jabber: logantheclever
Registered Linux User: 277727