Re: [SLUG] Actual Tech Post - My new server

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 00:27:48 EDT

On Saturday 12 June 2004 09:25 pm, Ken Elliott wrote:
> Actual technical post here, Haiku no necessary...
>
> Just built a new server, using:
> Pentium 4 @3GHz, 1 GB RAM dual channel @ 800 MHz FSB
> Intel motherboard (D865PERL) with Serial ATA drives
> Pair of SATA 120 GB drives - plan to mirror them.
> Sony DVD burner for Backup
> 550 watt Power supply
> Lian Li 6077 case (so she'll be pur-dy)
>
> Well, I have to set the BIOS to "legacy" for Debian to see the HDD. A
> known-good copy of Knoppix-STD never gets to the GUI. So far, I looks like
> I have to run Gentoo if I want native support of SATA hard drives. SuSE
> shows support of the all 865PE chipset-based motherboards as "partial".
>
> It appears my options are:
> Set BIOS for "legacy" and run any distro.
> Compile a new kernel with a SATA mod
> Run Gentoo (should be "interesting")
> Hit the boss up for $1500 for Windows Server 2003 and CALS, remove him from
> hole in ceiling.
>
> And I'm clueless about support for DVD burning (for backup).
>
> I'm in no hurry to put it into production. A week or two won't hurt, so I
> can play with many options. I'm planning to run it as a file server, print
> server, mail server, web server and mySQL Server. Expect to have 10 user
> for now.
>
> Comments/suggestions?
>
> Ken Elliott

Seems like it would be an overkill, though I really don't know what kind of
load you'll put on it so that could be hogwash : ) Should be good for the
future anyway. Nice box too.

Do you really want a GUI on a server?

One way around this could add an extra layer of backup.

Add an IDE drive and make it have /boot on it, maybe /dev & /etc as well. Then
make the rest be a backup partition. Now you can do have cron make really
fast backup to the harddrive with minimum downtime (when nobody is around).
Then you can burn a DVD whenever you want from the disk backup.

Booting on the IDE may solve your issues until such time when it's fully
supported.

Mandrake 10 supports burning DVD's through K3B. It's by far the best GUI I've
seen on Linux and at least as good as any other. MDK 10 also supports writing
to NTFS.

Have not tried SATA though...
- --
Steve