RE: [SLUG] Actual Tech Post - My new server

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 21:06:33 EDT

     Steve said >>Seems like it would be an overkill..

Yep. Plan to run it 5 years or longer. Much longer. They are running
Pick, now.

>>Do you really want a GUI on a server?

Not sure why you ask, but... At first, yes. Since I'm a newbie, it's easier
to browse for files, etc. But going command line asap. I -am- and old
command line guy, but I've gotten lazy.

>>Add an IDE drive and make it have /boot on it, maybe /dev & /etc as
well. Then make the rest be a backup partition.

Pretty clever. But I found that putting the BIOS into "legacy mode" allowed
it to work fine, but at the loss of the second IDE interface.

>>Mandrake 10 supports burning DVD's through K3B.

Thanks. It looks pretty nice, so I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Ken Elliott