RE: [SLUG] Actual Tech Post - My new server

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jun 14 2004 - 20:52:09 EDT

Larry>>I'd look at mondo for backup.

Looks pretty good to me. Thanks...

>>I would go with a distro you are more comfortable with

Good advice, but I'm thinking of trying Debian and Gentoo for the learning
experience. I've time to install both and I've heard that if you take the
time to get Gentoo running, you learn an awful lot about Linux. By backup
plan is to install SuSE 9.0 (have it) or 9.1 (buy it).

>>I've never worked with SATA HD so I can't give any hints on what works
best though.

I set the BIOS for "legacy mode" and Debian is formatting the drives just
fine. I don't know if there's a performance hit, but I do know that it
disables the second IDE interface. Which is ok for now. The Sony DVD-R was
a bad choice for the Lian-li case. This case has an aluminum cover that
hides the DVD drive (trapdoor). But the new Sony has a really thick
faceplate - they added a 1/8" clear overlay, and it's wider than normal.
After grinding on it to fit, I found it hangs up on the trapdoor as it
closes. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

My intent was to set this baby up and let it run for 5 years. That's why I
made sure it had plenty of horsepower. These guys are currently running on
a PICK system. Green screen terminals and all.

Ken Elliott