Re: [SLUG] Actual Tech Post - My new server

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jun 15 2004 - 00:52:21 EDT

On Monday 14 June 2004 09:06 pm, Ken Elliott wrote:
> Steve said >>Seems like it would be an overkill..
>
> Yep. Plan to run it 5 years or longer. Much longer. They are running
> Pick, now.

Pick O/S?! I've not worked on it since, -81. Nice!

> >>Do you really want a GUI on a server?
>
> Not sure why you ask, but... At first, yes. Since I'm a newbie, it's
> easier to browse for files, etc. But going command line asap. I -am- and
> old command line guy, but I've gotten lazy.

Well a GUI EATS up resources, some with fervor (GNOME/KDE). In an ideal scene
you would only have exactly what you need on a server. Thus not leaving any
extra possibilites for holes, or extra tools for a hacker to use.

You really should have two boxes to run that way though.

>>Add an IDE drive and make it have /boot on it, maybe /dev & /etc as
>> well. Then make the rest be a backup partition.
>
> Pretty clever. But I found that putting the BIOS into "legacy mode"
> allowed it to work fine, but at the loss of the second IDE interface.

Hmm. Odd, you must have lost a few things that way. Like UDMA and ability to
run your drive at 133 MHz.

My chipset was not supported until recently (VIA 8237) and I lost UDMA.

> >>Mandrake 10 supports burning DVD's through K3B.
>
> Thanks. It looks pretty nice, so I'll give it a try.

To burn an iso image you need to use the pulldown menu... Drag and drop does
not detect and or ask if it's an image.

> Thanks for the help, everyone.
>
> Ken Elliott

- --