Re: [SLUG] Comcast to block port 25

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 13:38:20 EDT

As is typical of a lot of people, you seem to measure everyones need for
freedoms against what your needs are. Since you are willing to pay for
e-mail services or believe it is an acceptable price for people to pay
you determine that it is good or bad for us. Can't you imagine for a
second that some of us enjoy working on our own SMTP servers. I'm not a
gamer and so I don't care about whether people have their gaming ports
closed or not. Does that mean I have a viewpoint that we should not
care as a group. No, I respect their desires and want to see the people
that abuse their freedoms have theirs taken away. As time goes on
businesses that have control over our freedoms can and ultimately will
seek ways to profit from things we get for free today. I do not look
forward to the day when I have to pay (for port 25 access) to be able to
run and work on and learn from different e-mail servers etc. Please
don't make an arguement for being able to do those things on a private
network because interaction with live systems is important. Plus we
aren't just talking about port 25. Next it will be 80. Why not? No
one is going to come out tomorrow and say "we are going to block access
to any ports below 2048 to anyone who hasn't filled out requesitions and
met what we feel are reasonable reasons to have access to a particular
port". They know they will lose a lot of customers that way.

So slowly but surely they will close this and then close that, then
there will be a maintenance fee assoctiated with the filing request to
get your port openned. Will there be a day when hosting is only done by
professional services and our home machines will only be able to access
those services? Unfortunately our list postings won't amount to a hill
of beans in the end anyway, but I think people should know what to
expect.

I think that the comcast people have a responsibility to do what they
are doing. I think they should block those ports of the abusing
parties. I didn't agree with the view points of those who were quoted
in the article as saying these things should be closed by default. Lets
not punish those who do not abuse.

As for this idea of comcast should be able to do what comcast "damn well
pleases"... Lets all just sit back and shut our traps. I seriously
doubt our leaving their service will amount to squat. After all, the
number of users that want their ports open and even know what a port is,
amount to some 5% of their customers. The more controversy and debate
going on about how to solve problems like spam that lead people to
believe that closing those ports is a bad concept, the better chance we
have to see those ports available to us to use at will. So you can keep
quite if you think that talking about this is "whining". I would hate
to think that someone might think you were one of the whiners.

Larry