[SLUG] Gentoo Linux on a 512 MB CF Card

From: mrpeaceful@cfl.rr.com
Date: Fri Jun 18 2004 - 12:14:15 EDT

Hi all,

There's been some discussion about small flash style installations of Linux recently, but this is a slightly differing question. First of all, my plan of attack has been to build a Gentoo sytstem on an existing hard drive (or a file mounted as a loopback) (would prefer everything to be compiled for the C3 processor) then strip portage and the documentation and other clutter, and compress the file to an image and move the image to compact flash along with a kernel. I've been playing with use flags, but is there any other way to make a gentoo installation smaller than, say, 256 MB uncompressed with transcode and darwin streaming server?

Thanks.

Tyler