Re: [SLUG] Wierd Aggravating Printing Problem

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 00:21:30 EDT

On Thursday 17 June 2004 09:59 pm, Eben King wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Bob Stia wrote:
> > Need help. Where are these files queued so that I can just delete
> > it, or how do I kill a job that refuses to be killed? Would be
> > nice to go in and just stop a job that has gone crazy on you right
> > away. Doesn't seem possible to do that.

Thanks Craig, Eben, Eric, & Richard

Craig, Heh !!! :-) Been there done that !!! Since my ye old Winders
3.1 days !!!

Eben said:
> It might not be in the computer at all. All the data could be in the
> printer's (miniscule) RAM, and since it's random-looking characters
> (which occasionally happen to be form feeds), it wouldn't take a lot
> of data to use a lot of paper. There may be a magic set of buttons
> to clear the RAM.
>
> But on the chance that it's still on the computer, stop lpd first
> (using the init script). Partly so you're not messing with lpd's
> files while it's doing the same thing, partly to stop your printer
> from spewing garbage. Check out /var/spool/lpd (I think... lpd isn't
> installed on this machine). Easiest to make sure no good files are
> in the print queue then delete any job you find.

Eben,

Yep thought of that. No magic buttons or a way to clear the ram in the
Stylus 600. Read the book for 10 minutes. Did however, pull the port
plug and run a self test on the printer. That worked so I guess???
there shouldn't be anything in the ram. Checked /var/spool/lpd and
there was nothing there, even though I know there was another job
queued after that.

Then Eric suggested:
>I had this problem when I ran Suse 8.2.  The gimp-print drivers have
>improved vastly since then, so I'd just upgrade those rpms. Your
>problem will almost certainly end if you upgrade to 9.0 or 9.1.  I
thought 8.2 was a very quirky
>version in this and many other respects.

Eric, Think I have the latest gimp-print rpm's but I will check tonight.
Am really reluctant to do an upgrade because of all of the "fixing"
that need to be done afterward. I even did an "apt" upgrade from 8.0 to
8.1. Wow! wasn't that a lot of fun. Many changes from 8.2 to 9.1, and
I have this distro working pretty good right now. Thanks for your
suggestions. Will consider them carefully.

Then Richard said:
><Similar situation. May be able to help a little.
>Same SUSE 8.2 KDE with Epson 660. I was trying to print an Image
>for the first time in GIMP and found I was getting garbage until I told
>GIMP what kind of printer I was using. See if you need to set up you
>printer in open office. Additionally I was trying to print part of a
>PDF in Ghostview and started it printing a 32 page document I didn't
>want to print all of. I can get the job to show in the KDE print
>manager, But even as root it it says I don't have access When I try to
>delete job 8.

Richard, Yes, very similar. The document was a converted Excel spread
sheet in Open Office. I only wanted to print one page. I specified
landscape view. It then dutifully printed that page and then continued
on in portrait view of the same page and all of the other 9 pages and
then continued to start printing the gibberish. Maybe had something to
do with the Excel/Open Office conversion.

I have setup my Open Office & Gimp printer settings. I have also set up
kprinter to use cups. Whenever I print though, I really am not sure
what is happening. Could be some applications are using lpr, and others
are using cups?? Whenever you bring up the printer settings in
whatever application you want to print, it is not clear. I see all of
the choices I made in lpr such as draft, normal, color, etc. and can
choose between them. Oh well !!!!

So anyway guys, with all else failing, I turned on the printer tonight
and used the two ink laden pieces of paper until the printer exhausted
itself. The second queued job then came up and printed correctly. Very
aggravating that one should have to do this without any way of killing
this miscreant.

All is well now, until the next time it happens !!

Thanks again for your attempts at help.

Bob S.