Re: [SLUG] Wierd Aggravating Printing Problem

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 21:59:03 EDT

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Bob Stia wrote:

> Need help. Where are these files queued so that I can just delete it,
> or how do I kill a job that refuses to be killed? Would be nice to go
> in and just stop a job that has gone crazy on you right away. Doesn't
> seem possible to do that.

It might not be in the computer at all. All the data could be in the
printer's (miniscule) RAM, and since it's random-looking characters (which
occasionally happen to be form feeds), it wouldn't take a lot of data to
use a lot of paper. There may be a magic set of buttons to clear the RAM.

But on the chance that it's still on the computer, stop lpd first (using
the init script). Partly so you're not messing with lpd's files while
it's doing the same thing, partly to stop your printer from spewing
garbage. Check out /var/spool/lpd (I think... lpd isn't installed on this
machine). Easiest to make sure no good files are in the print queue then
delete any job you find.

rm -f /bin/laden