Re: [SLUG] slow response from Samba server

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 15:33:18 EDT

craig@ctrust.com wrote:

>HELO 200 all,
>
>I am working with a Samba 3.x server, and for some
>reason, it takes a century for it to respond on
>the network. When it does respond everything
>works, but he lag is horrible. We are running a
>Novell 4.2 network, and are using a Winderz DNS
>server. This system is a test box, but I have
>noticed the same behaviour from the live linux box
>as well.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?

Try making sure that the 'name' of the client which is connecting is
resolvable by the Samba server; maybe add it to the /etc/hosts on the
Samba server? Many TCP services do a reverse-DNS lookup to see who is
connecting, and if the client's IP cannot be reverse-resolved, then a
very long timeout ensues. This may not be your problem, your system's
behavior reminds me of similar (non-Samba) situations.

--ronan