Re: [SLUG] slow response from Samba server

From: craig@ctrust.com
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 15:24:00 EDT

On 24 Jun 2004 at 15:10, Christopher Hotchkiss wrote:

> Does it have a high ping as well? Complex monitoring? Badly set firewall?
> Can you give a little more information on its setup and environment please?
>
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 14:12:06 -0400, craig@ctrust.com <craig@ctrust.com> wrote:
> >
> > HELO 200 all,
> >
> > I am working with a Samba 3.x server, and for some
> > reason, it takes a century for it to respond on
> > the network. When it does respond everything
> > works, but he lag is horrible. We are running a
> > Novell 4.2 network, and are using a Winderz DNS
> > server. This system is a test box, but I have
> > noticed the same behaviour from the live linux box
> > as well.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> > This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
> > Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
> > posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
> > official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

It has a ping of less than 10ms. It is a simple
samba box. It does have apache2, mysql, and bind
running as well. There is no firewall, and no
monitoring beyone what gets splattered to the
console and logs. I have an idea it has something
to do with the setup of the network, as all of the
linux and windows boxen are having this problem.
the netware boxen are happily humming along.