RE: [SLUG] slow response from Samba server

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 19:51:53 EDT

>>I have an idea it has something to do with the setup of the network, as
all of the linux and windows boxen are having this problem. the netware
boxen are happily humming along.

Might those Netware boxes be running IPX, while the Win and Linux boxes are
running TCP/IP? If so, the Netware would be immune from DNS issues.

I suspect you are correct about the network setup. If they ping quickly,
it's not your hardware. You might try adding the Linux box's IP address to
a Windows Host file, and see if that speeds things up. If it does, I'd
suspect a DNS problem.

In c:/winnt/system32/drivers/etc create a file called "hosts.txt" and in it
put the IP address and machine name like this:

192.168.1.100 mylinuxboxname
192.168.1.120 rufustheserver

This will cause Windows to lookup the host name using this file rather than
DNS. If it's still slow, that should rule out DNS.

Have you fired up Ethereal on the Linux box and looked at the packets?

Ken Elliott