Re: [SLUG] slow response from Samba server

From: Robert Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 06:47:55 EDT

> > Anyone have any ideas?
>
> Well you really need to provide the specifics.
>
> Start up ethereal and see what is going on. You can see one machine
send a
> request and if/when it gets the reply. This allows you to see where
the error
> lies. Not at all likely to be samba. Rather DNS or reverse DNS.
>
> Under 10ms response on a LAN is horrible! You should see sub 1 ms
>
> Check the server NIC. Or you could have a broadcast storm from a bad
NIC.

> Ethereal will tell you...
>
> - --
> Steve

I agree with everything Steve said, but have a couple of comments, which
may or may not be relevant to this case.

I haven't specifically checked 9x, but perhaps his ping test is with
a win9x machine. I seem to recall there was a step in granularity
between 1 and 10 ms in the RTT resolved (shown) time. We get "spoiled"
with Linux and its much more precise RTT display. I know that
the ping utility in XP will show the difference between say 9 and 10
ms, and will show <1 ms. (the RTT to my firewall, on 10 Mbit)

If a ping from a Linux box is showing 10 ms, with an uncertainty
of a fraction of 1 ms, then yes there is a real hardware/NIC/cabling
issue, if the ping is to someone on your local LAN.

Secondly don't lose sight of the possibility of runts or fragments
clogging up an ethernet segment that won't be shown by most
software based analyzers, where the NIC has to see a legal
length frame with a valid FCS before reporting it up the stack.
Actually, DOS based analyzers such as Landecoder/e using an ODI
driver WILL show most errorred frames. The typical NDIS
driver won't. But some of the real high end s/w based analyzers
(win32) use proprietary modified drivers, such as NI Observer.

Landecoder/e was designed to run with NICs using typically
0x60 for the interrupt, with an ISA bus NIC, thus only worked
on a 10 Mbit LAN. I could never get it to work on a PCI NIC.

Bob