Re: [SLUG] slow response from Samba server

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 12:11:04 EDT

Robert Foxworth wrote:

> I haven't specifically checked 9x, but perhaps his ping test is with
> a win9x machine. I seem to recall there was a step in granularity
> between 1 and 10 ms in the RTT resolved (shown) time. We get "spoiled"
> with Linux and its much more precise RTT display. I know that
> the ping utility in XP will show the difference between say 9 and 10
> ms, and will show <1 ms. (the RTT to my firewall, on 10 Mbit)

Your post made me recall something from way back...

I spent the last ten minutes trying to pull up a Usenet comment I posted
  several years ago concerning Samba running pathetically slowly on
win9x networks. There was one really odd suggestion that someone had
made -- map a drive instead of accessing through explorer. At first I'd
dismissed it, but when I tried it radically improved the performance. It
could have been a coincidence, and I've not had reason to try it out
again, but if nothing else is working...