Re: [SLUG] Questions about the mechanics of the list

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 10:10:46 EDT

Anthony Harper wrote:

> First, what does the listserver run on? What program specifically runs
> it?

We use Majordomo. Another good listserv package is Mailman. There are a
number of others out there as well.

> Also, I always sort mail by date and time, and already I've received a
> few replies claiming to have originated before the initial post. Can
> anyone clue me in on that?

The Date: header is set by the Mail User Agent (MUA) which uses the
system time of the user's workstation when the message is sent.
Unfortunately, not all workstations have the correct time. My personal
favorite is email from the future.

- Ian