Re: [SLUG] laptop install

From: slug@gnorb.net
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 21:35:42 EDT

> Ordering, for my wife, ASUS A2000H (Asus laptop...
> http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/asus-a2/index.html). Wondering if
> anyone has had issues loading Fedora 2.0 on it.
> Thanks,
> Pete

*urgh* One of the things I absolutely DESPISE nowadays is the fact that as
popular as Linux has become, it's STILL not reviewed in hardware reviews.
(Note that I've taken steps to fix this on DevHardware.com, but the
benchmarking tools available on Linux for this sort of stuff just don't
exist yet. For example, don't expect to see BAPCo benchmarks for Linux any
time soon. Their MobileMark suite sucks royally, so that's actually a
blessing, but the other stuff is generally pretty good.

Ok, now that my rant is over, here's what I'd say: judging by the specs of
the machine, the only thing I can forsee problems with are only with the
scrolling functionality of the mouse. The chipset on that thing (SiS M650+
SiS962) should work fine with Linux. (NOTE: check out the M650+ chipset
specification page to see if you see anything which might set off any
flags: http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/integrated/pentium4/m650.htm.)
Dunno how the Audio DJ would be affected by Linux, and all depends on
whether it's an onboard thing (ie. flash ram controlled component) or an
extra partition on the hard drive. Something else that would concern me a
bit is what Asus has done with the BIOS. According to the product page
(http://www.asus.com/products/notebook/a2000h/overview.htm), they include
something called the ASUSP Power4Gear technology, with sounds to me like a
BIOS enhancement. My only concern would be how the kernel interacts with
that, if at all (probably doesn't, although by their description, the
Power4Gear is set to control Windows power options. That said, if it's a
BIOS-only thing, it really shouldn't matter. You can probably just turn it
off.

You probably won't have much of a problem with this laptop. The
southbridge controller should work fine with FC1 (and, by extension FC2,
or so I presume). My only question was regarding the M650+ and according
to this page http://kirstc.tccs.be/pcs.html, the 2.4.22 kernel was running
just fine on a similar motherboard.

Hope this helps.

P.S.
Watch out for those refresh rates. They can be killers ;-)

Gnorb