Re: [SLUG] TCWO

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 09:02:52 EDT

Hi All

I really did not state the central ides clearly which is that commercial linux
is way to complicated for the non techies in my office [which is a non
technical business in sales and marketing].

The central objective was to evaluate MySQL and ProgressSQL to ascertain their
usability as a data base programs for THIS office.

What I found is that after 2 weeks of part time attempts to make these
programs operate correctly is that I am still unable to create, connect, and
open a data base.

Now, I am sure every techie on this list could accomplish this but for us part
time techies this task reminds me of my first attempts to run Qt on Mandrake.
Two months later I finally figured out how to configure the setup and
generate a setup around the parts that Mandrake forgot to put in. From a
technical point of view I changed one command by the addition of two
characters. From an intellectual point and time point it was - well lets just
say you can not run a business that way.

There fore I had to recommend to our management that the difficulty and time
consumption of configuring Linux is in cost value of the time and effort to
expensive for this group of NON techies to attempt to use Linux.

As far as Linux desktop for browser and word processing that was doable by out
office.

But! Networking and data base are way above THIS office's technical level.

As far a bring in outside experts the comment is every time"that would make us
dependent on them." The meaning is that there is NO computer store or if so
virtually unknown that caters to Linux updating and repairs for non techies.

Frank