Re: [SLUG] TCWO

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 18:41:47 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:57:09AM -0400, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
>
> I used to be a business consultant many years ago. One thing I noticed
> is that consultants don't work toward the product of "you don't need us
> anymore". It's fairly obvious why. Instead, they work to keep you on the
> hook forever. This is probably well known to _big_ businesses, but was
> news to me in consulting little companies.
>
> Paul

You're dealing with the wrong consultants. That's like going to a mechanic to
get your brakes checked and your tires rotated, and a week later developing an
exhaust leak that wouldn't have been there if you didn't go to the mechanic.
It's dishonest to approach a client's problems as a consultant with the
intention of making them need to call you again. I consult, and I consider it a
good day when I only get calls from new clients or clients looking to move up to
new hardware and/or software, or just looking for advice. If one person calls
me several times in a reasonably short time for problems that I could have fixed
and/or prevented the first time I was there, I start discounting my time.