Re: [SLUG] Sarge install -- was WMV & Linux

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 09:35:37 EDT

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 02:40:44AM -0400, Chad Perrin wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:24:04PM -0400, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >>Update on circumstances: I installed on this machine without a sound card
> >>in
> >>it. I have since then shut it down (ooh, me blaspheme) to put an Ensoniq
> >>sound
> >>card into it. Is there any way to get it supporting sound now without
> >>reinstalling or recompiling the kernel?
> >

> >I don't recall the distro you're using, but with most modern distros,
> >you should simply be able to fire up the machine and have the OS find
> >the hardware and configure it. If not, then check to see that the
> >appropriate modules/software were actually installed. It is possible
> >that you might have to tweak configs and such to make it work, depending
> >on the hardware and software installed. Bottom line is that you should
> >neither have to reinstall nor recompile for sound to work.
> >

> I'm using Debian testing with the Sarge installer.

<snip>

> I fired up the machine. Unfortunately, I don't know how to "have the OS
> find
> the hardware and configure it." I don't know which modules and/or
> software need
> to be installed. If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be
> grateful.

You're asking the wrong guy for expertise. Sound modules and setup are
complex. My point was that, under normal circumstances, Debian should
simply sense the sound hardware and load the appropriate modules for
it. Then you just fire up XMMS or something, and play a wav file or
whatever.

If that's not the case, then you have more paint to scrape than I can
help you with. Sound requires kernel support (usually built in on Debian
kernels) and several modules loaded, one of which corresponds to the
particular sound card/chip you have. If it doesn't work out of the box,
then you have troubleshooting to do. Since it all normally just works
for me, I can only suggest further help on this list, or check the
HOWTOs for instructions on how to set up sound.

Paul