Re: [SLUG] hostname resolution wackiness

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 10:02:54 EDT

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Chad Perrin wrote:

> Eben King wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >
> >>That doesn't solve the problem of name resolution when DHCP assigns IP
> >>addresses dynamically, though.
> >
> > Is this *your* DHCP server? Do what I do -- have the DHCP server assign
> > them the same address every time.
>
> It's the local network, and the "server" is actually a router appliance.
> I haven't been able to find any provision for granting dedicated IP
> addresses to some machines without disabling dynamic addressing for
> others, and I do need dynamic addressing because computers are being
> added to and subtracted from the network all the time.

When I decided to use DHCP rather than static addresses, my router didn't
do fixed assignments, so I ran a DHCP server on one of the clients (a
Linux box, so it's almost always on). If it's the structure that's
getting you (as it got me with one of the format changes), I can give you
a working file.

CANCER:  The position of Jupiter says that you should spend the
rest of the week face down in the mud.  Try not to shove a roll of
duct tape up your nose when taking your driver's test.  -- Weird Al