Re: [SLUG] Slow Mozilla - Another try

From: scott (piper@ij.net)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 07:58:08 EDT

Bob, when you connect by pppd, the ip-up script is run. After you
disconnect,
the ip-down script is run. if you use the "usepeerdns" option when pppd
is called,
one of the things that ip-up does is call a script to set up your
/etc/resolv.conf file. This is also called by some dynamic DNS, because the
machine you connect to sends the DNS server addresses to you. After you
disconnect,
ip-down calls a script to restore your old /etc/resolv.conf.

Because the server addresses are sent when you connect they should be
alright, but
you can test them by pinging each one to see if they respond. You can
also replace them by writing your own /etc/resolv.conf file and making
sure that the
usepeerdns option isn't used. For your system, just follow the steps
that your
temporary resolv.conf file listed.

One other thing you may want to do is to run a little program called
dnrd, which caches
addresses so you don't always have to get them from the ISP name
server. It could speed things
up a bit for you.

scott