Re: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 22:23:41 EDT

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:50:24PM -0400, Mark Polhamus wrote:

> (Hoping to find a local network expert who works with legacy wiring...)
>
> Just moved into a new place, and along with all the cable tv coax wiring,
> there appears to be couple runs of 75 Ohm "thicknet" coax (10base5??). I
> would like to use this cable to connect a downstairs network to my cable
> modem/router upstairs. Probably just a ReplayTV unit -- just for the
> channel
> guide, not for streaming video.
>
> Is there any cheap way to do this? Some sort of 10baseT<->10base5 media
> converter on each end? Anyone know how, and where to get the hardware?
>
> Obviously at some point it becomes cheaper/easier to buy a wireless
> bridge and
> hook it up to my wireless access point which I already own. Or run cat5e
> cable (or fiber?) -- which probably means spending much time in a hot, hot
> attic :(, or hiring someone to do it ($$). Seems a shame not to use the
> existing wiring though.

We went over this at the meeting, but another thought occurred to me.
_If_ the cable isn't stapled down inside the wall, you _might_ be able
to use it to pull Cat5 through those same holes, thus replacing it with
Cat5. You can't do this with electrical wiring like romex, because they
staple it down inside the walls, but I don't know how cable installers
do this stuff. Just a thought.

Paul