Re: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Max F Lang (mflang@bellsouth.net)
Date: Wed Jul 14 2004 - 23:05:47 EDT

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 22:23, Paul M Foster wrote:
> thus replacing it with Cat5. You can't do this with electrical
> wiring like romex, because they staple it down inside the walls,
> but I don't know how cable installers do this stuff. Just a

Actually, the old cable guy I've worked with told me never to staple
any network cable, but rather wire it in place. Stapling the cable
can pinch the wires inside, opening them up RFI. Tape it, putty it,
wire it, but don't staple it. I've worked with him for over six
years and none of his cables has ever failed, while I've seen
cables that were installed by others needing to be replaced later.

Of course, that doesn't mean whoever installed that thicknet cable
didn't put a fat staple every foot along the length of it...