[SLUG] Stupid win32 partition tricks

From: Anthony Harper (aharper727@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 21:51:43 EDT

I saw the stupid floppy tricks thread and decided to come forward with
an issue that's been buggin me. Here's a snippet of a bash session
wherein lies my problem. I am logged in as a normal user, I attempt to
mount my win32 partition in two ways I've seen(but I really have no clue
why one works and not the other, half of my issue, I suppose). As is
evident, I cannot mount that partition as a normal user, despite having
edited fstab to include the user flag.

hockney@Twang:~> mount /dev/hda1
mount: fs type fat32 not supported by kernel
hockney@Twang:~> mount /dev/hda1 /windows/C
mount: only root can do that
hockney@Twang:~> su
Password:
Twang:/home/Hockney # umount /dev/hda1
Twang:/home/Hockney # mount /dev/hda1
mount: fs type fat32 not supported by kernel
Twang:/home/Hockney # mount /dev/hda1 /windows/C

And now I wonder why I get the fat32 error if I don't include
/windows/C, it's not like specifying the name of the mount point changes
the filesystem being mounted, right? So basically, I'd like to mount my
filesystem as a normal user, and be able to write to it, which is the
same question as with the floppy, I suppose, except that I have the
added fat32 weirdness.