RE: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 23:27:30 EDT

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 wchast@utilpart.com wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 01:43:14PM -0400, Doug Koobs wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> In my electrician days, I usually used two methods, depending on the
> >> situation. You can use a ShopVac on one end, and a plastic baggie
> >> (called a "mouse") tied to a pull string on the other end. Then just
> >> suck the mouse and pull string through. This works best with PVC
> >> conduit, since it is generally more airtight than the metal
> >> varieties.
>
> I used this same setup to pull 300 feet of cord through PVC piping
> between two houses then pulled cat5 through it. Needed the lub though
> as it got a bit hard about 3/4 of the way through. But at least I have
> the two buildings linked.

Shouldn't put something conductive between buildings. They might have
different ground potential (it works, thus disproving that), or lightning
could strike nearby, frying one or both ends and attached equipment. You
should use fiber or radio.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken