Re: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jul 19 2004 - 01:21:45 EDT

On Sun, Jul 18, 2004 at 11:27:30PM -0400, Eben King wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 wchast@utilpart.com wrote:

<snip>

> > I used this same setup to pull 300 feet of cord through PVC piping
> > between two houses then pulled cat5 through it. Needed the lub though
> > as it got a bit hard about 3/4 of the way through. But at least I have
> > the two buildings linked.
>
> Shouldn't put something conductive between buildings. They might have
> different ground potential (it works, thus disproving that), or lightning
> could strike nearby, frying one or both ends and attached equipment. You
> should use fiber or radio.

That's why you run a ground wire along with the cable and tie it to the
grounding system at both ends. ;-} (I know, there could still be
differences, even if the ground is a continuous loop between buildings.)
Or you could bury it (best idea, but still not perfect).

And if lightning strikes nearby, it won't matter if it's conductive or
not. Lightning will take any path, conductive or not, particularly if
there's something solid (like PVC) to guide it. Conductive solids only
present a more enticing target for lightning.

Paul