RE: {SPAM?} RE: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 18:09:10 EDT

>>opto-isolation is that when it comes to lightning, the voltages can be
enormous--a few thousand volts of isolation is "nothing.

Usually, you run it in metal conduit, so lightning is not an issue. It's
designed to cope with differences in building ground potential.

>>Better is to locally ground both ends of the Ethernet via Ethernet surge
protectors

Well... that doesn't solve the ground potential difference, which is usually
a bigger issue than lightning. Not a bad thing to add, however.

>>fiber all-the-way gives enough protection.

Yes, that is by far the best.

>>Compared to dry sand, the water apparently was a better conductor.

Pure water is not a good conductor, but ground water is extremely
conductive. Dry sand is mostly silica - a great insulator. Cycloaliphatic
epoxy insulators are typically 60-70% silica.

>>Fla Power (or TECO?), a number of decades ago tested underground power
lines (east of Bradenton, as I
remember) and abandoned the idea as current from lightning was putting holes
in the jacket (pvc & metal shield).

Early concentric neutral underground power cable has serious problems with
insulation degradation due to an effect known as "treeing". Flaws would
develop in the insulation due to the extremely high electrical stress,
lowering the basic insulation level (BIL) until a spike (lightning, or even
the operation of a switch or capacitor bank) would punch right through. It
took so long to restore service, that many utilities gave up.

>>What I have been doing is to bury a bare copper ground wire...

Hmmm.... Since it in the ground, which is where lightning wants to go, I'm
not sure its really doing anything of value. Can't hurt. It will corrode
over time, as electric utilities. On second thought, it might be a good
thing in sandy soil, during the dry season, since dry sand is a poor
conductor.

Building to building, I like optical isolation in grounded metal conduit. I
really hate wireless, because of all the security issues. But we all have
our opinions...

Ken Elliott