[SLUG] samba and xp app

From: Larry Brown (larry.brown@dimensionnetworks.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 2004 - 20:57:06 EDT

Hello everyone...

I have come to a bit of a quandry. I have an xp box added to a
win2k/samba network. All of the drives have been accessed regularly by
win2k boxes without issue. They are using peer to peer connectivity.
We added the xp box and used the same login/password as a prior win2k
box and are able to access the shares without problems. (both mounted
drives as x: y: and z: and by browsing the network share. Life should
be good.

There is an app on the xp box that allows you to set up a db server
using db files on the local machine or network shares. This application
was on the original 2k box without problems. However, on xp it acts as
though I do not have authority to access or add files from its
interface. I shows the y: drive as an optional drive and the
configuration acts as normal, it just doesnt' connect when you try to
launch the program. I have set up Ethereal to see if I can see some
credentials and funny thing is... I see no traffic what so ever.
Neither when starting the app nor starting its service on xp. I know,
the lack of traffic points to maybe a M$ list, but I figured maybe one
of you guys have seen this.

PS I can't stand X Pee. I think Win2K rocks (for an M$ app) and they
should have left well enough alone in this case.

Also, already checked the settings on the ethernet card for security
from local lan and it is not set. I also uninstalled Norton security in
case it was blocking the app....

HMMMMMMMMM

Larry