Re: {SPAM?} Re: {SPAM?} RE: [SLUG] Using old ethernet wiring?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 18:19:46 EDT

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 05:16:05PM -0400, Donald E Haselwood wrote:

<snip>

> I have no direct experience of copper pipes being pinholed by lightning. I
> wouldn't expect lightning to be a problem with copper pipes in concrete, as
> concrete is a good enough conductor that a long bar of it is sometimes used
> for making a ground in light sandy soil (Ufer ground if my memory serves
> me). Some type of electrolytic action between concrete & copper is more
> likely the cause of copper-pipe-in-concrete going bad.

I recently had a pinhole in one of my pipes repaired by a plumber
(age-related). He mentioned that when electricians ground to copper
pipes in homes, that's when they see a lot of pinholes. In L.A. we were
allowed to ground to pipes, but only if we also used a ground rod
(copper-jacketed steel rod driven into the group about six feet).

Paul