Re: [SLUG] OT: 2-30Mb fiber from Verizon

From: Steve (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Jul 22 2004 - 01:52:58 EDT

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 06:50 pm, Ben Drawbaugh wrote:
> >It will be interesting to see what RR will do with that kind of
> >competition.
> >The way I see it they will either have to writeoff competing in those
> > areas
> >
> >where Verizon has presence, or get REALLY cheap.
> >
> >The technology they use is only good for 9Mb, a bit shy of 15 or 30Mb.
>
> How do you figure?
> A single 6mhz QAM 256 channel can transmit 38Mb/s last I checked BHN was
> already utilizing a 900mhz system and can upgrade to 1100mhz if needed.

Well maybe my information is "a bit" out of date. Last time I looked (years
ago) that cable technology they had could only go to 9Mb. It would make sense
that it has been upgraded. (I don't recall either where the limit was.)

> It seems that they can give Verizon a run for there money if they want to.
> Personlly I think they could increase their revenues by adding a 500kb/s
> service at $30.00 with cable service. I would love to have 15Mb/s but most
> simply wouldn't use it.

But they start at a few Mb and go up. So low end fiber service would no doubt
undercut cable enough to clean them out.

A normal page used to come to about 20-30kb, a few years ago, too. (Hmm.) But
services increase as the ability to receive more and more data goes up. Web
pages simply will become more and more audiovisual. So I don't see it being
too hard to actually get closer to instant transfers.

Then anyone downloading/uploading can do so with less waiting. Obviously 15Mb
is pretty fast and your average server may not feed too much. But it's like
with CPU power. Not that long time some people said you would never need the
full power of a PIII. "Only the high end servers would use them."

When I worked in Hollywood our customers were labs that did special effect for
movies. They would use a 135Mb pipe to send it uncompressed. So few people
deal with that kind of stuff, but the point being here, that these guys did
figure out that since we were bringing in OC12/48 into the building. They
could now transport the whole movie uncompressed (for broadcast quality)
instantly, without using a curier.

So even though I agree that few would really use That much, I don't think it
would take too long for people to start figuring out how you now can do
things you never did before.

Actually people do have home video's they take. With that bandwidth they can
now easily share/show it to family and friends over the Internet. "Here's a
High Def. movie of Janet and me on hollidays. Hangon I'll send it over to
you!"

Well, in a few years... When it's available for the rest of us! : )

> Ben

- --
Steve

neither liberty nor safety."