RE: [SLUG] Resizing NTFS for LINUX install

From: Eben King (eben1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 17:51:29 EDT

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 wchast@utilpart.com wrote:

> I never understood how M$ who also wrote the HPFS code for OS/2 never
> implemented the automatic defragmentation that they did in HPFS.

Was it really "automatic defragmentation", or was it just commonly said
that HPFS "doesn't need defagmentation"?

> My OS/2 machine never had fragmentation issues. I guess they probably
> did some sort of legal thing with IBM where they promised that they
> would not put it in the OS.

Not as if MS hasn't done things blatantly illegal before. See Stacker.

> Is there anything in particular I should know about doing the dual boot
> thing with Windows X-Pee (I really like that one who ever it was that
> used it!) and Linux?

Works fine for me. Be sure to install Windows first. If you need to
reinstall it, or do "fdisk /mbr", make sure you have good boot media
that'll get you back into Linux.

I think "XP" comes from the Greek letters Chi Rho, which sound like the
word "Cairo", which was the codename for something Microsoftian (Win 95?).
But that's not as exciting. :-)

Q: What kind of modem did Jimi Hendrix use? A: A purple Hayes.