RE: [SLUG] networking

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 16:19:08 EDT

>>I installed and initiated both dhcp and dns servers
>>The D-Link shows a Wlan signal and when I connect a caple to it and to the
mac it also shows a connection.

Do you have DHCP turned OFF on the D-Link router? You can't have two DHCP
servers on the same network segment. So, if you have the Mac and Linux box
both plugged into the router you must either use the router's DHCP server,
_OR_ the Linux DHCP server, but never both. Now, if you have two network
cards in the Linux box, one going to the router, one going to the Mac,
that's different.

Why are you going to the trouble of using a DNS server for just 2 computers?
It that's all there are, you could simply create a hosts file on each
machine, containing the hostname and IP address of the other, and either use
fixed IP addresses, or configure your router to assign a known IP address
based on the NIC hardware address.

I don't think I understand everything you're trying to do, so more
information will help.

Smarter more Linux-savvy guys will chip in soon.

Ken Elliott