Re: [SLUG] [semi-rant] Debian, DFSG, Gentoo and .NET

From: Eric Jahn (eric@ejahn.net)
Date: Wed Jul 28 2004 - 14:33:09 EDT

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 12:55 pm, Derek Glidden wrote:
> So you see, Gentoo is just "The Hundred-Year Linux Distro." Why not
> get onboard now?

...because I don't have 100 years to wait for Gentoo compile every new version
of each package (which is why I left the Gentoo distro to return to Debian).
Seriously, though, your email was very thought-provoking, especially the part
about the OS compiling itself at run-time. Which begs the question you were
dancing around, which is: what is the appropriate time to compile? The only
thing that concerns me about mono is the same thing that has always concerned
me about java, which is the issue of the JVM/CLR sitting atop a perfectly
good OS (linux), slowing down everything. Python code is already slow;
imagine how slow it would be adding the CLR abstraction layer? Just thinking
out loud here...