Re: [SLUG] I told them . . .

From: R.G. Mayhue (rmayhue@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 20:17:55 EDT

On Saturday 31 July 2004 07:35 pm, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:

> > Dear user ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com,
> >
> > We have found that your e-mail account was used to send a huge amount of
> > nsolicited e-mail messages during this week.
> > We suspect that your computer had been infected by a recent virus and
> > now runs a trojaned proxy server.
> >
> > Please follow instruction in order to keep your computer safe.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > tampabay.rr.com user support team.
> >

> > file attachment: ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com.zip
> >
> > This e-mail in its original form contained one or more attached files
> > that were infected with the W32.Mydoom.M@mm virus or worm. They have
> > been removed.
>
> Sirs:
>
> I don't think this is possible, and I don't think your advise can help
> me, I have NO Micro$oft products in my home, I operate LINUX exclusively, I
> have since 1997! Also I do not use zip, I use bzip2.
>
> I suggest you look over your log files more carefully for the actual
> sender. I KEEP my internet connection DEAD except when downloading mail,
> browsing (not very much) and while downloading from the news groups, at all
> other times the connection is severed. I am very concerned with MY
> security.
>
> Ron ryouvan@tampabay.rr.com

This message was sent to you by a worm. This has been going on for about a
week now. Tampa Bay RR didn't send this to you... the worm did. I have seen
plenty of these the past week.

It looks like the attachment the worm sends did get stripped off though.

Have a look here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.m%40mm.html

- Rob