Re: [SLUG] Suse 9.1 books

From: Chad Perrin (perrin@apotheon.com)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 00:44:33 EDT

Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> Any recommendations for books for Suse 9.1?
>
> I've done a little with RH8 and I've found the Red Hat Linux 8 Bible
> just about right for my level. So far it looks like Suse does some
> things a little differently, so a "guide" would be handy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Don

I've got a copy of _SuSE_Linux_Installation_&_Configuration_Handbook_ by Nazeeh
Amin El-Dirghami and Youssef A. Abu Kwaik. It's published by Que. It is
actually aimed at SuSE cira version 6.3, and there's a lot of focus on earlier
versions of YaST than are currently packaged with SuSE. There's a bit of very
useful information in it that is particular to SuSE, but it's not perfect.
Pretty much the only way you'll get professional hardcopy-published SuSE
documentation for 9.x is by getting it with the CDs, I'm afraid. I've seen a
SuSE-specific book that pertains to 8.1, I think. 8.something, at any rate.
O'Reilly's _Running_Linux_, Osborne's
_Linux_Administration:_A_Beginner's_Guide_, and Osborne's
_The_Complete_Reference:_Linux_ all have some distro-specific information about
SuSE (as well as a couple others -- including Red Hat and at least one more in
each case).

--
Chad Perrin (apotheon .com .net .org)
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/sig-block.html