Re: [SLUG] 2.6.n kernel questions

From: Ian Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 18:08:55 EDT

Ronan Heffernan wrote:

> Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:
>
>> I am just a user, I know nothing. I am curious about the latest kernels.
>> I run 2.4.26, the current Slackware kernel. What is the current 2.6.n
>> kernel status? It is written very differently, and no previous driver
>> will work, how is the development of all of the drivers we need
>> coming along?
>> Are the drivers still ' stored as gziped object files?
>> Can they still be installed and removed from the running kernel etc?
>> I don't want tt experiment, I want to change over when everything is
>> ready for me. I create more than enough grief for my self without
>> experimenting.
>

> If you grab Knoppix v3.4, it has the option of booting 2.4 or 2.6 from
> the CDROM. You can see if it detects all of your devices and can use
> them properly.

Does Slackware have a packaged 2.6 kernel that is supported by that
community should you have problems?

If you don't wish to cause yourself more headaches, only use upgrades
from your distribution's maintenance path.

While there are a number of neat features and some performance
improvements in 2.6, if your current 2.4.26 kernel is working for you,
why break something that isn't broken?

To avoid headaches on important production machines, I've learned (the
hard way) to stick with Known Good (TM) configurations and keep up with
security patches - until which time that a new feature set becomes a
absolute necessity.

Whenever I build a new kernel or a new box, I always burn it in for at
least a week with a solid load from CTCS (http://va-ctcs.sf.net) and a
few other stress inducing programs.

Ronan's suggestion of trying Knoppix first is a good one, though I would
try it under VMWare or on another physical "play" machine where you can
try things out and give it a good burn-in. Once you're happy with it,

With the new 2.6 development cycle, though, don't be too quick to jump
onboard thinking it is 100% stable. Take a look through this summary of
the LKML thread talking about this, and you'll understand what I mean:

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/3522

 - Ian