Re: [SLUG] boot partition

From: scott (piper@ij.net)
Date: Mon Aug 02 2004 - 21:04:47 EDT

It shouldn't do anything about the partition number, since you aren't
deleting it. Just load up cfdisk, change the hda1 partition type to
linux, and after you are out of cfdisk run mkfs.(ext2,ext3,xfs,
whatever) on it. I don't think you'll have to reboot just changing the
partition type. Then if you want the newly formatted partition to be
the home directory, mount the partition to a dummy directory and do a
cp -a /home/* yourmountpoint to copy all of your files over to the new
partition. Once you verify that they are all there, delete the files
from the currently mounted /home directory and umount the hda1 partition.

Now change your /etc/fstab to add an entry for /home reflecting the
/dev/hda1 partition, and then mount the new /home partition.

Lilo shouldn't be affected at all since you aren't changing the boot or
root partitions, but if you are worried about lilo, run it again before
you reboot. (use the -v option for verbose messages so you can see if
everything works alright, but comment out any reference to the windows
booting from /etc/lilo.conf before you run lilo).

I'm pretty sure that should take care of it.

scott