Re: [SLUG] Embedded linux

From: Jason Copenhaver (jcopenha@typedef.org)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 09:35:58 EDT

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Pete S. wrote:

> jcopenha wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2004-08-01 at 21:20, Pete S. wrote:
>>

>>> Thought I would pass this one the the SLUG group. Friend of mine had a
>>> question...
>>>
>>> "I got the embedded development board today.
>>> http://www.arcom.com/pc104-ixp425-mercury.htm Starting to read over the
>>> docs. The board itself has Linux installed and ready to go, but in the end
>>> I will need to learn how to configure and build Linux images. Currently my
>>> next start is to start application development. The board comes with
>>> Fedora on three CDs and recomends installing it on a development PC, then
>>> updating the compiler for cross compiling to the x-scale processor. I
>>> would compile on the Linux PC, then upload the binary to the embedded
>>> platform. I was wondering if it would be a simpler process to upload gcc
>>> and the required libs to the embedded platform and compile and develope
>>> there? Of course I do not have the first idea how to do this. My first
>>> quess is that I would need a PC with a cross compiler to be able to cross
>>> compile the gcc compiler over to the xscale. sigh.... Anyway I have a
>>> steep learning curve. Any book refs. or links would be appreciated."
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Pete
>>>

>> This board doesn't appear to have the onbaord storage to actually upload
>> a development enviornment onto the board. You could set it up to boot a
>> NFS partition and have the development environment there, but it is
>> probably just as easy to install a cross compiler. The development kit
>> should have instructions for installing a cross compiler.
>>
>> Jason
>>

> Follow up question... my friend is making some progress and was looking for
> some more advice. "I neck deep in getting this stuff working on Linux. BTW,
> I am attempting to use the "great and powerfull" emacs editor. I must be
> missing something, it's damn cumbersome. Any better ideas for editors for
> code development on Linux?"
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
> Thanks, Pete

Yes, as other people have said editors are always a touchy subject.
KDevelop and Eclipse are both decent IDEs for doing linux development.
Neither have a very high learning curve. Vim and Emacs are very powerful
and with that comes a sometimes steep learning curve. If he is compiling
with makefiles from the command line probably something simple with syntax
highlighting is all he needs. Kate is probably worth checking out.

Jason