Re: [SLUG] Suncoast LUG Meetings

From: Tevfik Yucek (yucek@eng.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 19:30:05 EDT

How many USF students are in this list? If we start a linux users
group at USF, we can schedule rooms easily. We need around 10
students I belive and I can get at least 5 members from my friends.

Tevfik

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 06:50:12PM -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 07:35:17PM -0400, Joey Dale wrote:
>
> > How about the public libary, they have rooms that can be rented.
> >
> > Just my ten cents
> >
> > -Joey
>
> Three things. One, my experience is that public libraries are devilishly
> hard to schedule on an ongoing basis. I've had this problem with Dunedin
> library for two years in a row now. I have to get in very early (like
> June) to schedule for next year, and the rooms are still full some
> months. Libraries typically give preference to people who've scheduled
> there before. We've been scheduling there for maybe five years now, and
> they still screw us on scheduling. In fact, when I started having
> problems with Dunedin, I called the Clearwater libraries with the idea
> of scheduling there. Since we'd never scheduled there before, they
> basically told me to pound sand. Two, I'm not really keen on meeting all
> the way downtown, where there is little parking, it requires navigating
> downtown and one-way streets, and it's spooky at night. HCC is good, in
> that the location is pretty central, there's lots of parking (though you
> have to walk), and there are people on campus even at the end of
> meetings. Three, SLUG doesn't pay for meetings. We're a cheapo outfit.
> We'll pay for booth stuff at a show or a pavilion to have a picnic, but
> monthly meetings... don't think so.
>
> Paul

Tevfik Yucek
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of South Florida,  Phone : (813) 974 0759   Office : ENB-245