Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux

From: James S (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 19:53:31 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Pedersen" <john@jmp-systems.com>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [SLUG] another reason for linux

> Robin "Roblimo" Miller wrote:
> >
> >> Which brings up an interesting question. How many here use XP, or
> >> anything
> >> past w2k SP 2?

I do use Win XP home SR1 simply because most everyone that wants answers to
problems on their puters are using XP home or home SP1 . I now have 3
puters with XP on them. I do have dedicated Mandrake 9 and Suse 9.1 puters
also. Since i am half professional/ half hobbist i need to know the system
well. I fix and build upper end puters for people, so i have to go with the
flow.I also need to know most of the software that windows uses so i can fix
the problems people have with them. This is where i make my money so i must
consider Linux as the hobby portion of my computering.

NO, i do not generally install the MS updates since i do not let my puters
receive activeX components, BHO's OR DSO's. Mozilla Firefox is my browser of
choice here. I have few problems as of yet with XP except installing the
dang thing, and trying to run 2 versions of the Nvidia software on a
puter( ended up fdisking and reformatting).

Chris Lee, i would be interested in this modified version of XP, is there a
link somewhere for this?

JamesS