Re: [SLUG] The Storm

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 20:55:46 EDT

craig@ctrust.com wrote:

>Just to add insult to injury... I never heard of any
>of those.
>
>On 16 Aug 2004 at 10:33, mark@bish.net wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Ed Centanni wrote:
>>

>>>Already been through Camille, Eloise, and Frederick and ....
>>>
>>>Ed Centanni.
>>>

>>Darn Ed, kinda dating yourself there aren't ya? :)

>>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

>This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked
>Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages
>posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the
>official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.

Message sent from one my friends in Orlando... "Well, I had a good
camping trip over the weekend. =) We built a tree fort. More accurately,
we built a pile of trees that could substitute for the ramparts of a
fort large enough to rival the walls of the one in St. Augustine. We
built a camp fire and cooked items we had stuffed in our backpacks. More
accurately, we cooked out on the grill those items of food that were
going to go bad anyway and some items of food that weren't. Susi cooked
pesto shrimp (yummmmmmmm) over the grill and rice in a pot over the side
burner for one meal, a really yummmy lime pepper turkey breast, and her
famous Bobby Flay barbecue oatmeal (ok, so Bobby Flay wasn't involved,
and neither was there barbecue sause). We camped outside under the stars
counting the remnants of the Perseid meteor shower. More accurately, we
slept inside with all the windows open listening to the frogs sing, the
neighbors get up in the middle of the night to run their cars (I assume
to get an air conditioning break from the humidity), and the
intermittent rain while thinking of taking a cool shower - in other
words, not much sleep was had. We got plenty wet from swimming in the
local water hole. More accurately we got plenty wet from perspiring
sufficient fluid to soak the ground, which was already sodden and muddy
anyway; and from wading into Sailfish River, the stream extension that
the street in front of the house becomes after heavy rain (not to
mention a hurricane) in search of crayfish and battery-exhausted toy
motor boats. We told stories around a roaring campfire. More accurately,
we watched as the children, who were apparently suffering from
television withdrawal symptoms, set up their own little tv studio and
broadcast a show from within the tv set (an upended armchair) complete
with stories of goldfish, songs, and their very own Iron Chef rendition
(the suprise ingredient being yellow spotted lobster) courtesy of
Fisher-Price. We went on a long hike through the forest. More
accurately, we tromped back and forth in well worn muddy paths between
the forest in the back yard and the street out front while packing the
remnants of the Lalapalooza mosh pit party Hurricane Charley and the
trees held on Friday. If you've never seen an oak tree being passed limb
to limb by other trees on the way to the stage, you haven't lived. And
we blew up a traditional can of beans in the camp fire. Or more
accurately, we listened as some other poor schmuck blew up their
recreational vehicle with a propane bomb while attempting to activate a
small gas-powered regrigerator that was inside the vehicle. I heard the
RV nearly flew and thus informed I recollected fondly of our own attempt
to make objects simultaneously fly and explode with the famous, or
infamous, Infiniti-8.

I had a good time and was glad that I could help with the rather large
task of fixing various roofs and cleaning up tons of debris. And I was
able to have fun with handsaws and powertools - nothing like the smell
of chainsaw exhaust in the morning, it's the smell of ..... chainsaw
exhaust in the morning.

And now that I've returned to my office, with its various electronic
devices, its air conditioning, its electric lights, I barely know what
to do with myself. =)"