Re: [SLUG] New System

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronanh@auctionsolutions.com)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 09:16:53 EDT

>Welll....main reason I am thinking the USB hard drive is that I already
>have a dual boot with dual hardrives and have never had an acceptable
>back up plan. Figured I could store my system to transfer my stuff and
>then use the USB for backups on both computers and store a lot of data
>on it that is not accessed continually. That way each computer would
>have only one hardrive and access to the USB. Don't know - Still
>thinking about it.The new computer would be strictly Linux ( SuSE 9.2?
>10.0?)

For my next computer, I am thinking about getting two IDE drives, and
partitioning such that system and swap partitions are normal, but each
drive has one 30GB partition so that I can mount /home as RAID1
(software raid) shared between the two drives. This seems like a very
nice 'backup' plan (and only for the files that I cannot reinstall from
media).

>>>Most important. Should I go 64 bit? , remembering that this will be
>>>my last board for many years, and, this is where I want strong
>>>opinions.

Are you committed to the idea of a 'many years' computer? My main
workstation is a PII 450MHz (so yes, I am in the market for a new one!)
The strategy that I am considering will be one of "surfing Moore's Law",
by buying a $350 computer every 3-4 years. This would mean holding-off
on 64bit for one more generation.

Here is a system from TigerDirect (www.tigerdirect.com - usually has
very good prices, I have had good success with these guys in the past):

# Soyo K7VME Socket A Barebones Kit with 52x CD-ROM, Keyboard, Mouse
# AMD Athlon XP 2400+ CPU Thoroughbred Core 266FSB
# CPU Fan
# Ultra 256MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz Memory

$249.99 - $110 in rebates = final cost of $139.99

Add $58 for a "Hitachi 40GB / 7200 / 2MB / ATA-100 EIDE Hard Drive" and
you are in business (assuming that you old monitor has not aged as badly
as you old computer). Add extra DVD, CDRW as desired.

I am pretty sure that spending $1050 on a computer every 12 years will
mean that your average daily available bogomips is lower than spending
$350 every 4 years. And don't forget that while these cheap components
are likely to last 4 years, I wouldn't be too sure about the power
supplies and harddrives in a $1000 computer lasting for 12 years?

--ronan