Re: [SLUG] Resolved: how to read the tiny CF cards in Palm Pilots

From: Levi Bard (levi@bard.sytes.net)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 11:04:46 EDT

>Now my problem is
>how to convert the stupid .asf movie files my palm camera generates and
>turning them into mpeg movies so I can put them on my website. Is there a
>command-line tool to do this conversion. avifile-utils looks promising, but
>it's difficult to figure this out from the man pages. Thanks for any
>insight! -Eric

mplayer/mencoder will do this, in combination with mjpeg-tools. There's
also a script, menc2vcd or something similar, that comes with the
mplayer/mencoder source which can help automate this. Note: if you want
avi video, mencoder will do it in one step:
mencoder -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:acodec=mp3:abitrate=128 -o myvid.avi

For mpeg video, for reasons mainly to do with the way mpegs are
multiplexed, it goes something like this:

mkfifo vidout
mkfifo audout
ln -s vidout stream.yuv
mpeg2enc -f 1 -v 0 -n n -F 4 -o myvid.m1v < vidout &
toolame -b 224 -m s audout myvid.mp2 &
mplayer -nortc -noframedrop -nowaveheader -vo yuv4mpeg -ao pcm -aofile
audout myvid.asf
mplex -f 1 myvid.m1v myvid.mp2 -o myvid.mpg