Re: [SLUG] Acronis ate my GRUB

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 13:24:31 EDT

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:23:32 -0400 (EDT), Eben King
<eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> > When I installed LINUX and GRUB I guess that Grub was actually pointing
> > to this Acronis junk, and when I pulled Acronis off it appears to have
> > killed Grub. I am trying to figure out what the best way to get it back
> > is?
> >
> > Does not even come up now, the machine comes up and boots ExPeee no
> > questions asked.
>
> Sounds like it removed GRUB and restored the XP bootsector. Boot from a
> Linux CD and reinstall GRUB. The Novell/SuSE DVD may do. So would
> probably any other distro CD if that's easier.
>
> BTW, my laptop is back from IBM if you want to compare notes. They were
> _very_ fast -- called on Tuesday, box arrived Wednesday, DHL pick-up on
> Thursday, laptop back here on Monday. So they probably had between Friday
> evening and Sunday morning to fix it.

I figured as much. All I want to do is restore GRUB, those idiots at
Acronis, like
most windows SW people just assume that everything fits a mold and you will
follow like lemmings.

Good will drop you a note and see if we can meet and do the comparisons..

I like the IBM boxes. I used them back in 2001 when I did the CDPD study at
ConEd. they ran off of the 13.8v vehicle buss just fine with no
inverter or other
PSU box between, same goes for the Toshibas, but I noticed that Tosh has now
gone to a 19v PSU, so that means I will have to get a 12 > 19v converter for
one if I have to use it in a vehicle. I hope that IBM has stayed with
the 15v system
as it works just fine off of the 13.8v system.

--
Chuck Hast
To paraphrase my flight instructor;